Categories
Fuzz

Wilson Fuzz – Assembling the pedal – ver. 1

After a very lengthy video where I went through process of designing a PCB for a simple effect, it’s time to build the effect now. The boards are in, the components have arrived and let’s build the first version of it.

The video is at the very bottom of this. In the video I do a bit of talking about the components, some possible gotchas when soldering, some small issues that I had to overcome and finally finished the enclosure and tried the pedal out.

Project Files

As a reminder – Wilson Fuzz project repository: https://github.com/barbarachbc/wilson-fuzz

This time around I updated the BOM, but I also added my template for planning drilling. I also added graphics for cutting the template for spray painting the enclosure.

Finished Board

The boards from PCBWay look great:

I already had the components arriving from Mouser, so everything was ready for a quick soldering. Actually, the finished board looked nearly exactly the same as on the 3D model:

Before I moved on to finish the enclosure and mount everything, I tested the board first. It worked!!! 😉

I normally use InkScape and I have a template that I use for my drilling. I have some standard size holes (well, I should better say hole sizes for components I use regularly) and then I move them around until I’m happy with the arrangement and that everything can fit. After this I can print it out and use that as my drilling template.

The files are here: https://github.com/barbarachbc/wilson-fuzz/tree/main/CAD

SmallChassis_1590A.svg is my drilling planner. WilsonForCutting_Full.svg is for my Cricut machine. I used it to cut out a template and then I used spray paint for the primer and red top colour, and then I used the template and the airspray gun to complete the design:

After this, it was all wires and fitting everything in. For how to wireup 3PDT switch I have a whole article on that. Eventually I was able to fit everything in:

And that’s it, I did have to make two small notches on the lid with an angle grinder so the lid would fit perfectly. I also had to use different knobs, but the pedal is working and looks great:

Summary and Final Words

It took me a bit longer than I expected to do everything. I always forget how much work is there to assemble the pedal. In the end, everything worked nicely which is all that matters.

What would I do better next time:

  1. Since this was supposed to be an “easy” example – I should’ve used bigger enclosure for sure!
  2. Make sure the board fits the enclosure 😁. I managed in the end, but all I need was to cut out just 2mm from the corners. That way I would’ve not needed to use the angle grinder (I’m still traumatised)
  3. Check dimensions of everything! I did not check knobs and spacers, that’s all that I did not double (or even triple) checked. And what do you know, I could not use the knobs I ordered. Luckily I have a ton of other ones laying around, I’ll update the BOM with a better alternative.
  4. Use a different DC jack. While the one I used worked, I came across a better one on the Mouser site. I’m not sure how I missed it first time around, maybe it was out of stock. Check the BOM, I updated it with the better DC jack.

Considering everything, this was pretty great attempt, nearly perfect. In the next video I’ll do the alternative version with using panel mounted pots with soldering tabs. Let’s see how that goes.

Video

Version 1 of the pedal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.