Categories
My Designs

Completed Prototypes for Thunder Boost

Last week I finished prototyping my Thunder boost pedal. I got boards some time ago, so I got onto soldering all those SMT components. The final result looks nice I think:

The finished boards look pretty much like the 3D model in KiCad which is actually great. I was freaking out about soldering the components, but it wasn’t that bad.

I had created a small jig to keep the boards in place, applied some solder paste. That literally took no time. Took me longer to clean-up the stencil afterwards. Took me longest to place all those little buggers. I used hot-air gun to solder them. That took a while to figure out the correct temperature and air-flow, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straight-forward. Here are some photos:

All in all, I think it was worth trying it out. I did way better job with decal this time around. And lessons learned for decal – the paper I got does not work on dark background at all (oddly, that was what it said in the instructions …) and, white and light colours might not be visible at all.

All being said I totally enjoyed the experience. I’ve already sent next prototype to be made so more fun to be had soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.